top of page

How to Obtain Your Marriage Licence?

  • A marriage licence is required to get married in Ontario

  • The licence is valid for use in Ontario only and can be used anywhere in the province

  • Anyone over the age of 16 years old can get married in Ontario. If you are under 18 years of age you will need consent from your parents or legal guardians. A parental consent form must be completed. Forms are available online. Your parents or legal guardians must also be present at the time you submit your marriage licence application.

  • Everyone is welcome to apply for a marriage licence and get married in Ontario, whether you live here permanently or temporarily. There are no gender, residency, citizenship or medical requirements when applying for a marriage licence. The requirements are the same for everyone.

  • Here is a downloadable Marriage Application Form PDF

Identification Requirements

Each person applying for the marriage licence must provide 2 pieces of acceptable government issued identification (ID) from the list below:

  • Identification must be valid and original (we will not accept photocopies, scanned images or pictures on electronic devices).

  • Identification must provide your legal name and date of birth.

  • Your first and last names must match on the two pieces of ID that are presenting.

  • To have your middle name(s) included on your marriage licence it must also appear on both pieces of ID.

  • ID on the list can be from any country, as long as it is government issued.

  • If the ID is not in English, a written translation from a certified translator is required.

  • Health cards and S.I.N. cards will not be accepted.

  • Expired identification will not be accepted.

Remarry after a divorce


Divorced in Canada

You will need to bring official proof of the divorce with you when you apply for a marriage licence. This can be the original or a court-certified copy of one of three documents:

  • the final decree

  • the final judgment

  • a certificate of divorce

Out-of-country divorces

If you were divorced outside of Canada, you will need to provide certain documents to prove that you are no longer married. The government needs to validate these documents. This process can take up to 4 weeks.

You will need to send the following documents to ServiceOntario:

  • marriage licence application form: completed and signed   Get a marriage licence application form

  • statement of sole responsibility: for each divorce (signed by both people who are planning to get married and a witness)
    Get a statement of sole responsibility form

  • legal opinion letter: from an Ontario lawyer, addressed to both people who plan to get married, giving reasons why the divorce or annulment should be recognized in Ontario

  • divorce decree or annulment: an original or court-certified copy in English or French. If the decree is in another language, you will need to include a translated copy and an affidavit sworn by a certified translator

  • Please mail these documents directly to:
    Marriage Office
    PO Box 4600
    189 Red River Road, Thunder Bay ON  P7B 6L8

    You can also contact this office to have a sample legal opinion letter faxed to your lawyer.

Here are the links to your local City Halls for complete details:

Toronto/North York -

Mississauga -

Brampton -

Markham -

Vaughan -

Richmond Hill -

Aurora -

Newmarket -

Bradford -

Whitby -

Oakville -


Burlington -

Milton -

Ajax -

Oshawa -

Innisfil -

Caledon -

Halton Hills -

Orangeville -

New Tecumseth -

King -


bottom of page